Dream Act Information




  • What is an AB 540 Student?

    You are an AB 540 student, and exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if you meet all of the following criteria:

    • Graduated with a California high school diploma or have the equivalent; and
    • Attended a high school in California for three or more years; and
    • Attained high school credit equivalent to three or more years of full time attendance;
    • Are registered or enrolled at a California community college;
    • Complete an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.


    • Or three or more years of high school coursework and attended a combination of California elementary, secondary, and high school for three years or more.
    • Or attended a combination of California high school, adult school, and community college for the equivalent of three years or more.
    • Or attended a combination of California high school, adult school, and community college for the equivalent of three years or more.
    • Are registered or enrolled at a California community college;
    • Complete the AB540 Exemption Form
  • What is a Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (AB540)?

    Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) was signed into law in October 2001 and allows certain non-resident students to be exempt from paying non-California resident fees.

    What does this mean?

    Students who qualify as AB540, pay $46 a unit not $283 a unit.

  • What is the California Dream Act?

    The California Dream Act (AB130 and AB131) passed, and became effective January 1, 2013.  The Dream Act allows eligible AB 540 students to apply for and receive several types of financial assistance, including:

    • The California College Promise Grant (fee waiver)
    • State financial aid like Cal Grant, Student Success Completion Grant, and Chafee Grant
    • Assistance from EOPS or CARE
    • Scholarships
  • How do I apply for financial aid?

    Students apply online for financial aid through the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act.

    Who should apply for the CA Dream Act?

    Apply for the CA Dream Act if you are?

    • An undocumented student who meets AB540 residency requirements
    • Students with OR without DACA
    • Students with U-visas (victims of crimes)
    • Student with TPS status (temporary protected status)
    • To apply visit, https://dream.csac.ca.gov/.

    Who should apply for FAFSA? 

    Apply for the FAFSA if you are?

    • US Citizens
    • Permanent Resident (green card holders)
    • Eligible non-citizen (refugees, asylum, etc)

      Students must apply every year for financial aid. It’s free to apply!

  • Steps to Applying for Financial Aid:
    Step 1: Apply (Beginning in October 1st). Complete and submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application and verified Cal Grant GPA. Step 2: Check your Insite Portal student email account for further instructions. Step 3: Complete required documents, as listed on your checklist on InSite Portal. If you don't have required dociments, check your Financial Aid Award Letter. You may have an Award Package waiting!
    Step 4: Submit your forms/documents to the Office of Financial Aid Step 5: Check your InSite Portal for your updated Award Letter and wait for the next check disbursement date. Step 6: Check the Financial Aid Disbursement Schedule. After you receive your Award Letter, a financial aid disbursement will be processed on the next scheduled disbursement date.
  • Where do I start?
    1. Complete a CCC Apply to college.
    2. Complete the California Dream Act Application online at https://dream.csac.ca.gov/.
    3. Complete and submit the AB540 Exemption Form.
    4. Follow the enrollment steps listed on the LMC website
  • Resources for Dream Act / AB540/ and DACA  Students and Families:

    icanaffordcollege.com: Brought to you by the California Community Colleges.  The one-stop resource for information on grants, loans, and scholarships.

    California Dream Act FAQ’s:  Information for students and parents about the California Dream Act.

    DREAMer’s Roadmap: Helping undocumented students find scholarship opportunities through a mobile app.

    My Undocumented Life: Scholarship opportunities for undocumented students.

    Immigrants Rising: Empowering undocumented your people in their pursuit of college, career, and citizenship.

    The Community College League of California (League or CCLC) is a nonprofit public benefit corporation whose voluntary membership consists of the 72 local public community college districts in California. We support locally elected trustees and college CEOs, serve their communities by advocating on their behalf in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., and by providing continuing education services and utilizing economies of scale to keep the cost of services low.

    California Community Chancellor's Office: Provides resources for undocumented students. 

  • By completing the CA Dream Act, a student may be eligible for:
    • California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver) The California College Promise Grant is available specifically for students at California community colleges. The California College Promise Grant will waive your per-unit enrollment fee (currently $46) at any community college throughout the state. 
    • Cal Grants: Cal Grants are funded by the State of California and are available if you are able to meet academic, financial and eligibility requirements.  There are several different types of Cal Grants:
      • Cal Grant A
      • Cal Grant B
      • Cal Grant C
      • Cal Grant A Transfer Entitlement Awards
      • Cal Grant B Transfer Entitlement Awards
    • Student Success Completion Grant: With the Student Success Completion Grant, you could get up to $8,000 per year to help take more classes, ensuring you stay on track to graduate and get your degree faster. The more classes you take, the more money you’re eligible to receive. If you are a full-time student and a full-time Cal Grant B or C recipient, the Student Success Completion Grant will provide an additional $2,596 (if you’re attending 12-14 units per semester) or up to $8,000 (if you’re attending 15+ units per semester) annually. That’s on top of the annual Cal Grant awards you’re eligible to receive! So, you’ll want to take at least 15 units per semester to receive the most money.
    • Chafee Grant: If you are or were in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000.
    • Scholarships: There are many types of scholarships available, from all kinds of organizations, as well as the LMC Foundation.  Visit the LMC Scholarship webpage for more information.
    • First Time+Full Time= Free Tuition: Los Medanos College is offering tuition-free college for all first-time, full-time students for Fall 2019. As a part of our College Promise effort, we are launching the 4CD Promise: "First Time + Full Time = Free Tuition" (FT3) program.  Visit the 4CD website to learn more about FT3.

    For more information on types of aid, click the following:

    Types of Aid

  • Free Immigration Legal Services

    ALL California Community College Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible for quality legal representation for DACA, TPS, Citizenship, Family Reunifications, Humanitarian Petitions, and other services at no cost.


    #Find Your Ally

  • Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program

    What is it?

    The California Dream Act Service Incentive Program (DSIG) encourages California Dream Act Application (CADAA) student with a Cal Grant A award that met Cal Grant B eligibility or a Cal Grant B award to perform community or volunteer service.

    Award Amount?

    The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $4,500 per
    academic year (up to $2,250 per semester or up to $1,500 per quarter) to 1,667
    eligible students. The grant will be available to the student for up to 8
    semesters or up to 12 quarters while they have an active Cal Grant A or B award. Cal
    Grant A recipients must have met Cal Grant B eligibility .

    Where Can I Get More Information?

    Visit the California Student Aid Commission at www.csac.ca.gov/dsig for more information about eligibility,application, service requirements & service organizations. 


    Student Brochure