Help with Difficulties You May Encounter at Los Medanos College

We hope that your experience at LMC has been a positive one and that you are satisfied with the assistance you have received in and around the college. But if you do run into difficulties with any of the following areas note the procedures for addressing your concerns.

Type of Difficulty Procedure – At a Glance*
With a campus service or office If your concern cannot be resolved by the person providing assistance to you, ask to speak with the immediate supervisor. If the issue is not resolved, contact the next level manager.
With an instructor or counselor

Speak with the instructor or counselor to seek a resolution. If the issue remains unresolved, contact the department chair. If no mutually agreeable solution is reached, select this link or pick up a “Student Complaint Form” from the Office of Student Life, the Counseling Center or the Welcome Center. The form will be sent to the appropriate Dean or Vice President for determination of a solution.

(You can locate a current list of Department Chairs and Deans under "Departmental Directory Lists" at the Office of Instruction webpage.)

With other employee Speak with the person to attempt to resolve the issue. If this is unsuccessful, ask to speak with the immediate supervisor. If the issue is still unresolved, complete a "Student Complaint Form" and submit to the Office of Student Life, the Counseling Center or the Welcome Center. The form will be sent to the appropriate next level manager for determination of a solution.
With a student If you believe a student has violated the Student Code of Conduct, you may direct your complaint to the Dean of Student Success for review. 
Grade Appeal No grade may be challenged or changed more than one year after the end of the session in which the grade was assigned. Speak with the instructor who gave the grade. If the instructor is not open to changing the grade, speak with the Department Chair. If no agreement is reached, complete a “Student Grade Appeal Form” or visit the Office of Student Life.
Unlawful discrimination or harassment If you believe you have been subject to unlawful discrimination or harassment, contact the Vice President of Student Services for information about the district board and college policies and the formal and informal complaint procedures.
Inquiries/Complaints on Basis of Disability Concerns regarding access, treatment, or employment on the basis of disability should be directed to the Vice President of Student Services, Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Information will be provided based on district board and college policies, in addition to formal and informal complaint procedures.
Your academic status/educational program/personal issues Contact the Counseling Center to arrange to speak with a counselor if you have questions about your academic progress, your educational program plan, or if you would like to discuss personal difficulties that are affecting your progress in classes.
Parking Permits/Campus Safety The campus Police Services Department can assist you with concerns regarding your campus safety, parking permits, or reports of loss or theft.

*For more information & additional copies of forms, refer to the “Student Complaint/Appeals Procedures” available on our website, or in the Office of Student Life, the Welcome Center, the Counseling Center or in the Office of the Vice President of Student Services (room locations and phone numbers below).

College Phone: (925) 439-2181

Service: Location: Extension
Counseling Center SS4-400 (925) 473-7449
Dean of Counseling & Student Support, Mr. Jeffrey Benford SS4-414 (925) 473-7425
Dean of Student Success, Mr. David Belman SS4-406 (925) 473-7423
Welcome Center SS3-320 (925) 473-7434
Office of Student Life GA (925) 473-7554
Vice President of Student Services Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Dr. Tanisha M.J. Maxwell SS4-406 (925) 473-7421
Police Services CC1 – 132 (925) 473-7332

Complaint Process Notice (per Section 600.9 State Authorization (a)(1), Section 668.43(b))

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are obligated to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented: