Forms & Resources
- LMC Distance Education Forms
LMC & 4CD Distance Education Documents
- Distance Education Charter, November 2014
- LMC Distance Education Strategic Plan, February 2010
- LMC Distance Education Strategic Planning Grid, Approve May 11, 2015
- LMC Strategic Plan Update (Working Draft), May 2014
- LMC Substantive Change Proposal, December 2012
- LMC Distance Education Committee History, January 2015
- 4CD Distance Education Council Charge, May 2014
- 4CD Learning Management System Work Group Charter, March 2014
- LMC Distance Education Policy, September 2008
- LMC Distance Education Best Practices, August 2008
- Position Paper for Online Education at LMC, March 2004
Research Articles on Distance Education & Case Studies
- "Distance Education Report." Distance Education. California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office, Aug. 2013. Web. 8 Oct. 2013.
- Kahn Academy Developmental Math Demonstration Project, New England Community Colleges, Fall 2013
- Straumsheim, Carl. and Doug Lederman. "Teaching to Teach." Inside Higher Ed. 22 Nov. 2013. Web. Dec. 3 2013.
- "What We Know About Online Course Outcomes. Research Overview." Community College Research Center. Columbia University, 2013. Web. 7 Oct. 2013.
- Accessibility Information
- Fact sheets on Accessible Distance Education from CATEA (Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access): Quick tips, solutions, and a summary of the issues involved in making accessible distance education.
- LMC 508 "Accessibility checklist"
Guidelines, Surveys, Standards & Recommendations for Distance Education
- ACCJC Accreditation Reference Handbook: Policy on Distance Education and on Correspondence Education, (page 52) June 2013
- ACCJC Guide to Evaluating Distance Education and Correspondence Education, June 2013
- Academic Senate for the California Community Colleges, Ensuring the Appropriate Use of Educational Technology, Adopted Spring 2008
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5 CA ADC § 55200 - § 55210. Article 1. Distance Education
- California Community Colleges Distance Education Accessibility Guidelines, January 2011
- Guidelines for Required Instructional Materials in the California Community Colleges, January 2013
- Board Policy Report on Student Authentication, Oct 10, 2013
- CCC Student Authentication Summary Report, 2011-12
Distance Education Organizations, Training, News & Resources
- Academic Senate for the California Community Colleges, CURRICULM: Distance Education
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Distance Learning Section
- California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office: Distance Education Division
- California Open Online Library for Education: The three State of California Higher Education Systems are working together to provide you easy access to quality FREE and OPEN eTextbooks that everyone and anyone can use for teaching and learning.
- Chancellor's Office Monthly Distance Education (CE) Coordinators and Managers Meeting Archive
- @ONE: A variety of free or low cost training, online resources and research funded by the California Community College Chancellor's Office Telecommunication and Technology Infrastructure Program (TTIP).
- Online Teaching Certification Program: A 5-course online certification program offered by @ONE.
- Gov. Jerry Brown’s Online Education Initiative Press Release from Foothill-De Anza
- Online Education Initiative
- CCC Technology For Student Success News: Volume 1, Issue 3 – July 2014
- CCC Technology For Student Success News: Volume 1, Issue 2 – June 2014
- CCC Technology For Student Success News: Volume 1, Issue 1 – May 2014
Conferences on Distance Education, Online Teaching & Educational Technology
- EDUCAUSE 2014 Annual Conference, September 29 - October 2 Orlando, Florida: EDUCAUSE® is a nonprofit association and the foremost community of IT leaders and professionals committed to advancing higher education.
- Teaching Professor Technology Conference, October 10-12, 2014, Denver, Colorado: The Teaching Professor Technology Conference will examine the technologies that are changing the way teachers teach and students learn while giving special emphasis to the pedagogically effective ways you can harness these new technologies in your courses and on your campus.
- Leveraging Technology to Support Students, Faculty & Staff, October 23rd & 24th, 2014, Online: Learn firsthand how inventive technology-based solutions can reduce staff overload, engage students, support innovative instruction, promote career opportunities and supplement services impacted by budgetary reductions.
- DET/CHE 2014 Annual Conference, December 2-5, 2014, Long Beach, CA: "Sailing the Turning Tide of Technology." Leaders in educational technology in California higher education will: explore emerging trends with thought leaders in the field, share successes, innovations and productive strategies with higher education colleagues, engage in a variety of dynamic and engaging social networking events, tour exemplary higher educational technology installations.
- OEI/Canvas Information Session at LMC: A recording of the OEI and Canvas information and demonstration session presented to LMC on 10/13/15 is now available.
- Canvas Demonstration (44 min): A concise demonstration of Canvas. This screen-recorded demo is shorter and easier to view than the Canvas demonstration presented at LMC.
- Canvas Upgrade Resources: Detailed information on the OEI's Common Course Management System (CCMS) selection process, reasons to upgrade to Canvas, and a Canvas implementation guide.
- Canvas Community: Search Canvas user guides and tutorial videos for instructors and students. Check out Canvas features that are currently in development or recently released, and explore CanvasLIVE for webinars and demo courses.
- Try Canvas: Experience Canvas hands-on through a two-week trial with sample courses and content, or sign up for a free course shell and customize it with your own content. If you sign up for a free course shell, you can import content from your D2L course shell into Canvas (make sure to export your D2L course components first).
- Introduction to Teaching with Canvas - Self-Paced: Free training provided by @ONE. This course introduces you how to teach using the Canvas learning management system by Instructure. You will learn how the system works through a series of curated readings and recall what you have learned through formative quizzes. You will also be provided with an opportunity to practice what you have learned through a series of hands-on exercises focused on the subject you teach.