Fall 2021 Applications still open for high school seniors!
Click the button below to apply or join the wait list. All Fall 2021 spots for non-high school seniors are currently full, however more may open this summer if social distancing guidelines change.
See the Application page for more information.
To apply to the Honors Program students must fulfill the Academic Requirement and submit an essay.
Successful applicants require one of the following:
1. A College GPA of 3.25 or higher; OR
2. A High School GPA of 3.25 or higher (First time LMC students only) ; OR
3. A College/High School GPA of 3.0-3.24 plus Letter of Recommendation from a former teacher or workplace supervisor attesting to the applicant's academic abilities and personal motivation.
To be an active member of the Honors Program students must:
1. Successfully complete two Honors Courses or Contracts every academic year (i.e. Summer, Fall or Spring), AND
2. Be involved in the Honors Club both semesters. This requires at least four hours of meetings and/or volunteer work each semester.
NOTE: Students who join midway through the academic year for the Spring semester need only take ONE Honors Course contract.
GPA Continuation Requirement
In June of every year once spring grades have been reported, active Honors Students with a 3.25 or higher GPA will have their membership automatically renewed. However, students whose GPA has fallen below this mark will not be allowed to rejoin until it has been brought back up to the 3.25 minimum.
Honors Scholar Requirements
Graduating as an "Honors Scholar" is the highest academic award granted by Los Medanos College. Honors Scholars are awarded a medal signifying this accomplishment by the LMC President and are recognized in the Honors Awards Ceremony and the Graduation Ceremony. They are also able to access the transfer partnerships we have negotiated with 4-year universities.
To become an Honors Scholar you must:
- Maintain a 3.25 or higher cumulative GPA; and
- Be involved in the Honors Club two semesters; and
- Take five Honors Courses including at least one in each of the following breadth areas:
- Fine Arts and Humanities
- Social or Behavioral Science
- Math and Science
- Honors Seminar