High School Students

Dual Enrollment Program Information

  • Eligibility

    To enroll in the Los Medanos College Dual Enrollment Program, you must:

    • Be enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade and attending a high school that is participating in the Dual Enrollment Program with LMC.
    • Complete a Dual Enrollment Authorization form with parent and high school counselor and obtain all required signatures.
  • About the Courses

    Courses offered by the Dual Enrollment Program are geared toward COLLEGE and CAREER readiness. Though course topics vary each semester, classes generally fall in one or more of the categories below:

    • Teach the student about the post-secondary educational system and provide guidance for success in college.
    • Can help fulfill the general education requirements for an Associates of Arts or an Associates of Science Degree.
    • Can transfer to a California State University or a University of California 4-year institution. (CSU, UC)
    • Can form part of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum Certificate. (IGETC)
    • Are related to the dominant labor industries within the students' local communities.
  • Legislative Background on Dual Enrollment

    AB 288 College and Career Access Pathways Act

    Dual Enrollment agreements in the California Community College system are made possible by California's AB 288 College and Career Access Pathways Act.
    This Program provides courses in both the Transfer and Career Pathways allowing high school students to get a jump start on their college education by taking college credited course while still in high school.
    Participation in Dual Enrollment courses can shorten a college trajectory, improve college success rates, and save money toward earning a college degree.

    Dual Enrollment opportunities have expanded in California with amendments to the College and Career Access Pathways law, also known as AB 288 or CCAP, which became law when Gov. Gavin Newsom signed AB 30. The changes took effect in January 2020.  

    Most notably, partnerships created under CCAP will be available to students for at least five years longer because the law now sunsets in 2027 instead of 2022. Other important changes:

    • Simplified application and enrollment processes — Students now submit a parental consent form, principal recommendation, and application only once for the duration of their CCAP participation, instead of completing a new set of documents each semester.
    • Priority registration — Units earned in a CCAP program now count toward eligibility for priority registration and enrollment at community colleges.
      Simplified CCAP agreement adoption — Districts may now adopt a CCAP agreement at the first public meeting when it is discussed. 
    • Broadened access to community college — Continuation high school students are now named specifically among students able to participate in CCAP programs.
    • Workforce Investment Board input — CCAP partnerships must now consult their local WIB about whether their career technical education pathways align with regional and statewide labor markets. 
    • Reporting — The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office must report on dual enrollment on Jan. 1, 2020 (moved up from 2021), and then every five years.

    Another new law, known as SB554, which also took effect in January 2020, allows students in a GED or other high school diploma equivalency program to participate in Dual Enrollment.


  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Where will the Dual Enrollment Program courses be held?
    The LMC Dual Enrollment courses will be held on high school campuses in the LMC Service Area Districts (AUSD, LUHSD & PUSD). In some cases LMC Dual Enrollment courses will be held on the LMC Pittsburg campus.

    When will the Dual Enrollment Program courses be in session?
    The days and times the courses are in session vary depending on high school's schedules.

    Who will be teaching these courses?
    LMC certified instructors will be teaching all the LMC Dual Enrollment courses. In most cases, the instructor will be an existing LMC faculty member who will travel to teach at the high school campus. In other cases, the instructor will be a high school teacher that has been hired and certified by LMC to teach the LMC Dual Enrollment courses.

     Can any high school student in a participating school district take the LMC Dual Enrollment courses?

    Students in participating school districts are not required to be in any special academic programs to take the LMC Dual Enrollment courses. All students in good standing and recommended by their high school principal may enroll.

    How many courses can a student take a year?
    A student may take up to 15 units per semester, pending continued principal approval.

    Will these courses count for HS credit?
    Each school district will individually determine if these courses will count for HS credit.

    What if a student does not do well in the course?
    Course requirements and expectations will be clearly outlined by each faculty member at the beginning of the class. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that he/she is able to meet the standards set for a college level course.

    It is worth noting that the grades the student earns while taking the LMC Dual Enrollment courses will be added to the student's official college transcript. Care and consideration should be made when taking any college courses.

    Can I take other LMC classes?
    Yes. In addition to LMC Dual Enrollment courses, the student may also take Concurrent LMC courses on the college's Pittsburg & Brentwood campuses, on the student's time & with principal approval.

    However, the student will be responsible for all fees and cost associated with courses taken concurrently.

    In any given semester a student may take courses under both programs as long as the combined units do not exceed the 11 unit limit for high school students.

    Can I use financial aid?
    The are no costs associated with courses under the LMC Dual Enrollment program, so you will not need financial aid.

    What about the cost of textbooks?
    There are no textbook costs for LMC Dual Enrollment students. The K-12 District will support the cost of textbooks.

    What do I have to do to get signed up to take LMC Dual Enrollment courses at my high school?
    Students need to go through their high school counselor for the form and procedures.

    How do I drop a course?
    Students can drop a course in person at Admissions & Records (either Pittsburg or Brentwood campuses) OR from their LMC Student Portal, InSite.

    A student may also discuss dropping with the instructor who MAY provide assistance in dropping. 

    Reminder: It is the student's responsibility to drop a course - including knowing the dates for dropping with or without a "W".

    What if I do not see my high school on the list of schools?
    Currently, the list of high schools reflect the existing CCAP Agreements between Los Medanos College and the corresponding School District. If your High School is not listed, most likely there is no agreement in place to hold LMC Dual Enrollment courses on your campus at this time.