What do I need for Spring 2021?
Due to COVID-19 all art classes will have an online component. Check the fall schedule for additional details or instructor contact information. In addition to traditional art supplies, courses will also have hardware and software requirements. Check the specifications before you buy.
What we have to offer
The Art Department offers classes in ceramics, sculpture, 3D design, painting, drawing, graphic design, photography, 2D Design, Digital Art, Color Theory, and printmaking.
In 2010, Los Medanos College finished a complete remodel of the Art Department instructional space. Our beautiful new facilities include a new graphic design computer lab complete with iMacs and equipped with the latest Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.); separate design, painting, and drawing labs; and a vastly expanded 3-D ceramics space.
Our faculty and staff have a collective 100 plus years of experience. Experience is the inevitable art class that no one wants to take. Art students have an opportunity to build from their vast knowledge and expertise.
Why Take Art Classes
It has many means of expressing feelings, sharing ideas or merely observing the entire range of the human experience. Studying and experiencing art cultivates creative problem solving and the empathy centers of the brain—both of which are extremely important in many areas of life. The art program at Los Medanos College offers a complete program of study, both theoretical and practical, in an integrated fine and applied arts curriculum. Many schools offer programs in art. What makes our program unique? Stoutheartedness course offerings and a faculty committed to a common philosophy and common goals.
- Knowledge of and experience with the creative process.
- Cultivate creative problem solving.
- Knowledge of and experience with the tools, materials and processes of art.
- Knowledge of art materials and safety with applications for safe studio practice.
- Awareness of and appreciation for cultural diversity in artistic expression.
- Knowledge of the role of the artist in society, with an awareness of professional ethical standards.
- The discipline required for achievement in their advanced careers and studies.
- Atmosphere conducive to learning and open expression.
- An understanding of the integrated, cross-disciplinary role of art and communication in today's rapidly-changing world.