Face-to-face courses are not required to use Canvas, but it is strongly recommended that all instructors post their grades and syllabus to their Canvas course sites.
Follow these instructions to log in to Canvas and access your courses:
- Go directly to https://losmedanos.instructure.com or login to InSite and select the Canvas tile from your InSite dashboard.
- Authenticate using your InSite username and password.
After logging in, you will see your the current semester's courses on your Canvas Dashboard. Access your complete list of previous, current, and future courses by selecting the Courses link in the Global Navigation menu.
Best practice is to use the most current version of your favorite browser with Canvas. If you are using Canvas on your office or classroom computer and need help updating your browser(s), submit an IT Helpdesk ticket.
Related Guides & Resources
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?
- How do I allow pop-ups for Canvas in my browser?
Accessing Canvas on the go? Download the Canvas mobile apps from the Google Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iOS) for quick access to updating course content, sending announcements and messages, grading, and participating in discussions.
Related Guides & Resources
Canvas: Start of the Semester Best Practices
Make sure your Canvas courses are ready by the first day of class by using the following checklist to create a stress-free Canvas experience for your students.
Start of the Semester Canvas Checklist: Did you publish your course before the start date? Is your gradebook set up correctly? Review this checklist, complete with links to helpful Canvas guides, to make sure your course is ready to go on the first day of class.
Know how to use Canvas: Learn enough about Canvas to do general course building. Use the resources listed in Canvas Training and Support section of this page to get started with Canvas.
Show your students how to use Canvas: Do not assume your students know how to use Canvas! Each instructor organizes their Canvas course differently, so it is crucial to show your students how to navigate and use your Canvas course. Consider adding the following Canvas resources for students in your course:
- Canvas Video Guide (Students) - covers commonly-used Canvas tools such as assignments, calendar, communication, discussions, grades, and quizzes.
- Canvas Student Getting Started Guide
- Canvas Student Guide - Complete list of all student guides.
- Canvas by Instructure App Guide (Android and iOS)
- 24/7 Canvas Support - remind students that they can call 844-303-5587 for Canvas support.
Canvas Training and Support Resources
Use the Help icon in Canvas to quickly access the Canvas Guides, Canvas 24/7 phone support number, and the Report a Problem web form. After logging into Canvas, locate the Help icon in the Global Navigation Menu.
Canvas provides excellent, up-to-date online help resources.
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Complete Canvas Guides: All Canvas guides, including guides for the Canvas app, SpeedGrader App.
Get started with Canvas at anytime by using the following online training materials. Watch a Canvas FastTrack video, browse the Canvas instructor guides, or enroll in the @ONE self-paced Intro to Teaching with Canvas course.
- Canvas FastTrack Video Series: The "Canvas FastTrack Video Series" is a quick video guide for teachers to help with the alignment of Canvas tools with SAMR and the ways to perpetually increase user engagement. Each video is 2 1/2 minutes long.
- @ONE - Introduction to Teaching with Canvas: Self-paced course. Free!
- @ONE - Introduction to Teaching with Canvas: Facilitated four-week course, will take about 10 hours per week. Free!
Workshops and Webinars
One-on-one training Canvas is available by appointment or drop-in, in-person or online via ConferNow. Contact Courtney Diputado at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-473-7712 to schedule training.
Variable Flex is available for Canvas training for the 2019-2020 academic year. Register through InSite.
Unable to attend a Canvas training at LMC? You can attend Canvas trainings at CCC and DVC - use the Flex calendar link to access a schedule of upcoming trainings and filter trainings by location.