Face-to-face courses are not required to use Canvas, but it is strongly recommended that all instructors post their grades and syllabus to their Canvas course sites.
Canvas Login Instructions
Username and password: Same as your InSite login credentials
Canvas: Start of the Semester Best Practices
Make sure your Canvas courses are ready by the first day of class by using the following checklist to create a stress-free Canvas experience for your students.
Start of the Semester Canvas Checklist: Did you publish your course before the start date? Is your gradebook set up correctly? Review this checklist, complete with links to helpful Canvas guides, to make sure your course is ready to go on the first day of class.
Know how to use Canvas: Learn enough about Canvas to do general course building. Use the resources listed in Canvas Training and Support section of this page to get started with Canvas.
Show your students how to use Canvas: Do not assume your students know how to use Canvas! Each instructor organizes their Canvas course differently, so it is crucial to show your students how to navigate and use your Canvas course. Consider adding the following Canvas resources for students in your course:
- Canvas Video Guide (Students) - covers commonly-used Canvas tools such as assignments, calendar, communication, discussions, grades, and quizzes.
- Canvas Student Getting Started Guide
- Canvas Student Guide - Complete list of all student guides.
- Canvas by Instructure App Guide (Android and iOS)
- 24/7 Canvas Support - remind students that they can call 844-303-5587 for Canvas support.
Canvas Training and Support Resources
Use the Help icon in Canvas to quickly access the Canvas Guides, Canvas 24/7 phone support number, and the Report a Problem web form. After logging into Canvas, locate the Help icon in the Global Navigation Menu.
Canvas provides excellent, up-to-date online help resources.
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Complete Canvas Guides: All Canvas guides, including guides for the Canvas app, SpeedGrader App.
Get started with Canvas at anytime by using the following online training materials. Watch a Canvas FastTrack video, browse the Canvas instructor guides, or enroll in the @ONE self-paced Intro to Teaching with Canvas course.
- Canvas FastTrack Video Series: The "Canvas FastTrack Video Series" is a quick video guide for teachers to help with the alignment of Canvas tools with SAMR and the ways to perpetually increase user engagement. Each video is 2 1/2 minutes long.
- @ONE - Introduction to Teaching with Canvas: Self-paced course. Free!
- @ONE - Introduction to Teaching with Canvas: Facilitated four-week course, will take about 10 hours per week. Free with discount code - contact Courtney Diputado for more information.
Workshops and Webinars
One-on-one training Canvas is available by appointment or drop-in, in-person or online via ConferNow. Contact Courtney Diputado at email@example.com or 925-473-7712 to schedule training.
Variable Flex is available for Canvas training for the 2016-2017 academic year. Register through InSite.
Unable to attend a Canvas training at LMC? You can attend Canvas trainings at CCC and DVC - use the Flex calendar link to access a schedule of upcoming trainings and filter trainings by location.
Colleges commonly evaluate their course management systems on a regular basis. The selection of Canvas by the California Community College Online Education Initiate (OEI) as its CMS, plus the announcement that it would be provided for use by colleges at no cost meant that we had an affordable option to D2L. Based on the extensive and thorough review of Canvas by the OEI's Common Course Management System Committee, Canvas can be considered a high-quality alternative to D2L.
Features and benefits of canvas
- Support - Canvas provides 24/7 phone support for students and faculty.
- Reliable - Canvas is hosted by Amazon Web Services, with 99.9% uptime guaranteed.
- Clean, simple layout - the intuitive user interface allows instructors to set up course content and tools with ease.
- Communication - Students and faculty can respond to forwarded Canvas conversations via email or SMS text.
- SpeedGrader - Instructors can view, annotate, comment on, and grade submissions without downloading and re-uploading files.
- Canvas App for Android and iOS - Students can learn anytime, anywhere using their mobile device to easily check assignment deadlines, submit assignments, take quizzes/tests, and review grades.
Canvas selection process
Explore the following links for further information on the OEI's Canvas selection process and the 4CD CMS decision-making process:
- Canvas Chosen for Course Management - TechEDge
- OEI - Canvas Selection Resources Area
- LMC Experience - Online change nearing
- CCC Advocate - State pushes online uniformity
- CCC Advocate - "Mobile access" pushes statewide online initiative
- CCC Advocate - Academic Senate endorses state's desire to switch to Canvas