Veterans Services

VA Education Benefits

VA education benefits help the military-connected community pay for college and training. The VA education benefit chapters are the most commonly used by Los Medanos College military-connected students.  For a complete list of GI Bill® and other education benefits, click here.  

Veterans are encouraged to contact the VA Education Call Center at 1-888- 442-4551 and speak first with a VA career counselor.  Should you consider or qualify for Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) education benefits due to a service-related disability, at least one day of entitlement of Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits is required.  

If you need help determining which education benefits you are eligible for, which is best for you, and to apply, click here or call the G.I. Bill Hotline 1-888-442-4551.


CH. 33 POST 9/11 G.I. BILL


Rates of Pursuit (ROP)

Fall and Spring Term

Chapters 30, 35 and 1606 Rate of Pursuit

  • 12 credits or more is full time
  • 9-11 credits is ¾ time
  • 6-8 credits is ½ time
  • 4-5 credits is less than ½ time (<½-time)
  • 1-3 credits is ¼ time or less (<¼-time)

Chapter 33 Rate of Pursuit
The VA calculates the Rate of Pursuit (ROP) by dividing the credit hours (or credit hour equivalents) being pursued by the number of credit hours considered to be full-time by the school. The resulting percentage is the student’s ROP.  The Chapter 33 housing allowance is paid if ROP is more than 50%. 

Summer Session

The VA converts credit earned during nonstandard quarters or semesters to equivalent credit hours. The VA makes the conversion, not the schools. LMC will report your actual units pursued.

The VA uses this formula to determine your payment:

  • Credit × 18 ÷ weeks = credit hour equivalents
  • 4-semester credits earned in 4 weeks is the equivalent of 18 credits earned during a standard semester (4 × 18 ÷ 4 = 18) and will pay full-time for 4 weeks.

Rates and Payments

Please note that the VA determines payment amounts.  Please direct payment-related question to the VA by calling 1-888-442-4551 should you have any questions after reviewing the VA Education Benefits here.

Monthly Self-Reporting to the VA

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® and non-Chapter 33 students (except for Chapter 31 VR&E) are required by the VA to self-verify continued course enrollment every month.  Students can opt-in with the VA for text messaging verification. Students who do not opt-in for text messaging will automatically be enrolled in email verification and sent an automated email on the last day of the month. Students can also verify online at Monthly Verification of Enrollment or call 1-887-823-2378.

Changes After Enrollment Certification

Military-connected students must immediately report any changes to their LMC School Certifying Official by submitting a Course Enrollment Certification Request & Change Notification and/or appropriate (veteran or dependent) Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.  Failure to report changes, such as withdrawal from courses or the college, will be interpreted as a violation of the Educational Benefits Act.