Chapter 1606 MGIB - SR
What Is Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve?
Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) benefit provides up to 36 months of education and training for 14 years from your beginning date of eligibility or on the day you leave the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Payments are made on a monthly basis by the VA to the student.
Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible if:
- You signed a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve after 06/30/85, or
- You are an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve six years in addition to your initial service obligation, and
- You completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT), and
- You got your High School Diploma or GED before completing your IADT, and
- You are in good standing in an active Selected Reserve unit.
Where Can I Apply?
If you have specific questions, please call toll-free 1-888-442-4551.