Administration of Justice

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • What certificates and degrees are offered by the Administration of Justice Department?

    Three certificates of achievement are offered: Administration of Justice, Criminal Investigations, and Criminal Law. One degree is offered: the Associate in Science for Transfer degree (AST).

  • Can I transfer with my associate’s degree and continue with my bachelor’s degree?

    The Administration of Justice Associate in Science for Transfer degree is specifically designed to transfer seamlessly to the California State University system’s bachelor degree programs in administration of justice/criminal justice. Los Medanos College is an accredited college, and courses may be transferable to other institutions of higher education.

  • Why attend LMC’s administration of justice classes?

    For students considering a career in the administration of justice, LMC’s Administration of Justice programs offer a great foundation. You’ll learn from our instructors, many of whom are current or retired criminal justice practitioners. They bring real world experience into the classroom while focusing on the theories and philosophies of the administration of justice system to include community policing, criminal investigations, criminal law, community corrections and social justice.

  • How much does the program cost?

    Current enrollment fee for residents is Enrollment fee is $46 per unit for California residents; additional $290 per unit for non-residents and for non-California residents is $237 per unit in addition to the enrollment fee of $46 per unit . Textbooks for each course will need to be purchased and costs can vary. The LMC Bookstore will stock books for each course immediately before each course begins.

  • Are there criminal justice jobs that don’t require you to be a sworn peace officer?

    The traditional positions of police officer, deputy sheriff, highway patrol trooper, detective, FBI, Secret Service, and Drug Enforcement Administration special agent, criminal investigator, probation officer, corrections officer, and parole agent normally require peace officer standing.

    There are positions within the criminal justice profession that do not require peace officer status: deputy district attorney, assistant city attorney, assistant U.S. attorney, public defender, 911 emergency dispatcher, federal and state drug diversion investigator, intelligence specialist, police analyst, forensic technician, crime scene analyst, deputy coroner-investigator, child protective services investigator, private investigators, private and corporate security, bail enforcement agent, private corporations’ juvenile advisors, probation and corrections officers, insurance investigators, sheriff’s support specialists, police assistants and evidence custodians.

  •  Can I be granted college credit for criminal justice training while in the military?
     Students may submit criminal justice training certificates for case-by-case review. Certificates need to be for actual instruction and not just attendance at a law enforcement conference.
  • Can I receive college credit for work completed at a police academy?
     Students may submit transcripts earned at accredited police and correction academies for review for credit.


Want to know more?

Email Department Chair Anthony Hailey at

Want to become an LMC student?

Visit to apply and more. Consult with a Los Medanos College counselor to develop your education plan.