Federal Student Aid

 You or your parents file a 2014 tax return. You may use estimates from December pay stubs and other end-of-year records, which can be corrected later on the Student Aid Report (SAR).

Before you begin

Allow time to gather records of income earned in calendar year 2014 for your 2015-16 FAFSA. If you are under the age of 24, you need records of your parents' income as well. Gather all of the following that apply:

  • Your Social Security card and driver's license;
  • W-2 form(s) or other records of income earned;
  • Your federal income tax return, and your spouse's (if married);
  • Your parent's federal income tax return;
  • Records of other untaxed income received such as welfare benefits (including TANF), Social Security benefits, child support received, payments to IRAs or 401 (k)s, or military or clergy allowances;
  • Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds and other investments;
  • Business or farm records, if applicable;
  • Your alien registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen).


FAFSA on the web

If you file using FAFSA on the Web (and we hope you do), it is easiest to complete the FAFSA worksheet and then fill it out on the web. FAFSA on the Web can be accessed from www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Remember, it's not called the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid for nothing; there is no charge to file on-line if you access the FAFSA from www.fafsa.ed.gov. Avoid sites that charge you for this service. And, for links to free scholarship search sites, try www.finaid.org.

Once you’ve competed the form

If you have not received your Student Aid Report (SAR) within four - six weeks of mailing your FAFSA, it is important to call (800) 4-FED AID (that's 800-433-3243) to ask about the delay.

And finally, if you have any questions, need any clarification about the FAFSA, or need a paper form, be sure to contact your high school counselor or financial aid office at (925) 473-7525.