Counseling Services

banner graphic

Online Counseling

Online counseling can provide you with the following services:

  • Information regarding LMC classes, programs, and services
  • Transferability and articulation agreements for LMC courses
  • General academic advisement
  • Pre-requisites, co-requisites, and course content information
  • Certificate, degree, and transfer requirements
  • General education options
  • Referrals to campus and community resources
  • College procedures and academic policies
  • Admission and registration information

The following services are not available when using online counseling:

To obtain these services and others that are not available on-line, students are encouraged to schedule an in-person counseling appointment online or schedule an in-person appointment by calling (925) 473-7449

  • Transcript evaluations
  • Verification of graduation, certificate, or transfer eligibility status
  • Review grades
  • Student Educational Plans
  • Review placement test scores or grades
  • Personal or career counseling

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are a couple of the most common questions that students ask regarding degree and transfer requirements at Los Medanos College. If you are a pre-nursing student, or plan to transfer to a four-year college, these FAQs may be particularly helpful to you:

I plan to enter one of LMC's nursing programs, but I'm not sure what the prerequisites are. Which courses do I need to qualify for the program(s)?
LMC's nursing handbook has a list of the pre-requisite and graduation requirements for every nursing degree. Visit our website to download the latest handbook and learn about prerequisites. (The handbook also contains information for the LVN program as well as LVN to RN). You must complete the pre-requisites before you enter the nursing program. This means that in-progress prerequisite courses are okay, so long as they are completed with a satisfactory grade during the spring before you start the nursing program. Please bear in mind that if you plan to apply to BSN programs at 4-year colleges, you should meet with a counselor to create an individual education plan that will meet both LMC's and the other college(s) requirements. All nursing students should make an initial appointment with a counselor to ensure that pre-requisites are met.

Which courses do I need to take to transfer to a 4-year college or university? How many units are required to transfer?
In general, 60 units are required for transfer with junior status. Most CSUs and UCs require that you transfer as a junior, but some private schools may accept you with fewer units. These units must be transferable. To find out if a University of California or a California State University accepts a course, take a look at the course description in your class schedule. If you are curious about which general education courses fulfill requirements for CSUs and UCs, download the IGETC (for CSU or UC transfers) or the CSU transfer guidelines (CSU only) from our website (search "general education."). Any student considering transfer should meet with a counselor as soon as possible to develop an education plan. Make an appointment online.