1. Calendar
  2. Library
  3. News
  4. A-Z Index
  5. Directory
  6. Español
  7. Online Classes
  8. InSite

Financial Aid

Assisting students in receiving a college education


Federal Student Aid


You or your parents file a 2013 tax return. You may use estimates from December pay stubs and other end-of-year records, which can be corrected later on the Student Aid Report (SAR).


Before you begin

Go to request a PIN (Personal Identification Number) for yourself and for your parent at www.pin.ed.gov.  This request takes approximately 24 – 72 hours.

Allow time to gather records of income earned in calendar year 2013 for your 2014-15 FAFSA. If you are under the age of 24, you need records of your parents' income as well. Gather all of the following that apply:


FAFSA on the web

If you file using FAFSA on the Web (and we hope you do), it is easiest to complete the FAFSA worksheet and then fill it out on the web. FAFSA on the Web can be accessed from www.fafsa.ed.gov.


Remember, it's not called the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid for nothing; there is no charge to file on-line if you access the FAFSA from www.fafsa.ed.gov. Avoid sites that charge you for this service. And, for links to free scholarship search sites, try www.finaid.org.

Once you’ve competed the form

Both you and your parents (in most cases) must sign the FAFSA electronically with your PIN or print the signature page if you have not received your PIN.

If you have not received your Student Aid Report (SAR) within four - six weeks of mailing your FAFSA, it is important to call (800) 4-FED AID (that's 800-433-3243) to ask about the delay.


And finally, if you have any questions, need any clarification about the FAFSA, or need a paper form, be sure to contact your high school counselor or financial aid office at (925) 439-2181, ext. 3139.