All appeal decisions are final.
Appeal Dates and Deadlines
- You may submit Financial Aid Appeals at any point throughout the semester up until the established deadline for the term. NOTE: Financial Aid Appeals will be collected, but not processed until grades from the previous term have have been posted by the Admissions & Records Office.
- Last day to submit an Appeal: April 2, 2018
New SAP Review Process
At the discretion of the Appeal Committee, students who have met minimum academic requirements of the SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) Policy while on Financial Aid Probation for the previous semester, MAY be reconsidered for automatic continuance of their "probation" status for the current semester. An automatic continuance of probation means that you would not need to submit an appeal for Spring 2018 semester. Please look for an email regarding your specific SAP status the week of January 15.
Steps to complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress On-line Module and Quiz:
Logon to the Los Medanos College LMC website; Click on ‘Current Students’, ‘Financial Aid’, Select and view the ‘Satisfactory Academic Progress Online Module. You will be taken to the Financial Aid Orientation.
Begin the Financial Aid Orientation by entering your first name, last name, and student ID number so the Financial Aid Office can view the results of your quiz. Complete the Financial Aid Orientation. Towards the end of the orientation, you must indicate that you are an LMC student by selecting "yes". Proceed to complete the SAP online module and quiz.
Submit Appeal and supporting documents to the Financial Aid Office. You must have a current achieved ed plan.
Appeal for Failure to Meet SAP/GPA/150% Standards
A student who has lost eligibility due to failure to make SAP may file an appeal, known as a SAP APPEAL. An appeal will be reviewed only for documented "extenuating circumstances" beyond the student's control. Appeals not meeting the "extenuating circumstances" category will not be accepted. Submission of an appeal does NOT GUARANTEE the reinstatement of financial aid. Therefore, students should be prepared to pay for their books and other school-related expenses pending the outcome of their appeal. If an appeal is approved, the student will receive financial aid for the semester at the soonest payment date following approval. Appeal process may take up to eight weeks depending on the volume of appeals.
Students placed on "Suspension" may file an appeal for consideration of reinstatement of financial aid eligibility. The following are examples of reasons a student may file an appeal:
Appeal for Exceeding time frame (Excess Units)
- Students who exceed the maximum unit time frame for their educational goal will not be eligible for further financial aid.
- Students who have a Bachelor's Degree and those students who have already received 6 or more full-time equivalent years of Federal Pell Grant aid are not eligible for further Federal Pell Grant aid. These students may only be eligible for fee waivers, Federal Work Study, and Federal Student Loans. They must have an approved appeal on file to receive Federal Student Loans and Federal Work Study.
- Students who meet these criteria may submit a Financial Aid Appeal Form, printable from Financial Aid Applications & Forms at: Application & Forms
- In order to maintain financial aid eligibility, if an Excess Units Appeal is approved, the student may only take courses listed on the approved student educational plan submitted with the appeal form.
The information on this web site is compiled from various State, Federal and college sources and intended to provide current and prospective students and their parents a tool to help make informed decisions about financial aid options while attending LMC. This information is subject to change due to changes in federal or state regulations, College policy, Office of Financial Aid procedures or budgeting.