About Los Medanos College
What makes Los Medanos College special...
- Our Mission, Vision and Values
- Our Los Medanos College
"family": Students and staff enjoy the friendly atmosphere
here – the feeling that we're all here to help one another.
- Our faculty: Students rave about their
professors and the personal attention they receive.
- Our beautiful new facilities: Since 2006,
we have increased our classroom space by
50%, with a new library, science building and math building. Our art
classroom/lab space was completely remodeled in 2010. The nursing and
emergency medical technician classroom and lab space was completed in Summer 2012. A science web lab has been added to our Brentwood Center in Spring 2014. We are now in the midst of a
remodel of our student services area to be completed in Spring 2015.
- Our diverse student body: When a variety of ages,
ethnicities, and cultural backgrounds converge in the classroom,
interesting things happen.
- Our small classes: Because the average class size
is 35, students get to know their classmates and their instructors.
- Our transfer center: Students who plan to transfer
to a four-year university get on the right track through Transfer
Admission Guarantees, "IGETC," Transfer Academy (new in 2011) and other transfer programs.
- Our special academic programs: We have many opportunities for
students to focus on their studies in an engaging community setting. Learn more about our special programs
- Year Founded: 1974, the third of three
community colleges in Contra Costa County, serving primarily the East
Contra Costa County community.
- President: Bob Kratochvil
- Location: Los Medanos College's district
includes East Contra Costa County; the main campus is located in
Pittsburg, approximately 40 miles east of San Francisco and 30 miles east
of Berkeley/Oakland. Major highway access is Highway 4, closest major
airport, Oakland. The Brentwood Center is located 14 miles southeast of
the main campus in Brentwood.
- Campus size: Main campus: 120 acres (buildings
and grounds); Brentwood Center: 22,000 sq. ft. (buildings only)
- Accreditation: Accredited by the Accrediting
Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of
Schools and Colleges
- Average class size: 35
- Enrollment by semester: Varies, approximately 10,000
students or 4,000 FTES fall/spring
- Full-time faculty: 111
- Part-time faculty: 268
- Full and part-time classified
- Administrators: 24
- Enrollment fee: $46 per unit for California
residents; additional $208 per unit for non-residents
Los Medanos College
- Popular majors: Liberal studies, nursing,
engineering, math, English, physical and biological sciences, business,
behavioral sciences, fire technology, child development, administration of justice, process
technology, electrical and instrumentation technology.
- Student Resources: Library; science, math, music
study labs; more than 700 computers for student use; career center; free
tutoring for current students on many subjects; Honors Scholars program,
learning communities and special academic programs including Umoja,
Puente, Transfer Academy and MESA.
- College activities: Theatrical and musical
performances featuring student work, student clubs, art gallery.
- Child care: Available for children of
students, staff, and community members at the Child Study Center on the
main campus in Pittsburg
- Athletics: Intercollegiate women's
soccer, softball and volleyball; menâ€™s football and baseball; and men's
and women's basketball
- Housing: None on campus; apartments
Los Medanos College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges,
10 Commercial Blvd. Suite 204 Novato, Ca 94949, (415) 506-0234,
an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission
on Recognition of Post secondary Accreditation and the U.S. Department
- California State Board of Community Colleges
- California Department of Education, Bureau of School Approvals
for the enrollment of veterans and eligible persons under Title
38 of the U.S. Code.
- State Board of Registered Nursing
- State Board of Vocational Nursing
- University of California
- California State Colleges and Universities
- Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
- Small Business Administration
- Contra Costa County Emergency Medical Services Office
Vist the Los Medanos Accreditation web pages for more information about accreditation and the process.