Child Development

Careers for People with a Child Development Certificate/Degree


  • Preschool Teacher
    silver star
    Read about our star rating by the by the State Chancellor's Office.
  • Head Start Teacher
  • Elementary School Teacher
  • Teacher aid Infant/Toddler Teacher
  • Child care provider
  • In-home Family Child Care Owner
  • Child Advocate Recreation Leader
  • Social Worker
  • Pediatric Health Specialist ( nurse, physician, etc.)

Wonder what education and experience you need to become a childcare provider or educator of children birth to 5?  The California Child Development Permit has information on what the requirements are.

Below are our recommendations on what specific classes you can take at LMC to fulfill Child Development Permit requirements. Other options may be available or recommended, based on your previous experience and prior education.

We strongly suggest meeting with a counselor and are encouraged to contact LMC's Counseling Department.

 If you currently work with children ages 0-5 years in Contra Costa County, please contact:


Department Course Recommendations to fulfill Child Development Permit requirements:

filler"Assistant" level permit: CHDEV 1, CHDEV 10

"Associate" level permit: CHDEV 1, CHDEV 10, CHDEV 20, CHDEV 62

"Teacher" level permit: CHDEV 1, CHDEV 10, CHDEV 11, CHDEV 20, CHDEV 50, . CHDEV 62, CHDEV 65, CHDEV 90*

"Master Teacher" level permit: All "Teacher" level courses, plus CHDEV 92 plus 6 additional units in a specialization. We offer a variety of specializations, some of which include:

  • Infant/Toddler Care and Education: CHDEV 40, CHDEV 4
  • School Age Care and Education: CHDEV 32, CHDEV 33
  • Children with Special Needs Care and Education: CHDEV 55, CHDEV 57
  • Creative Arts in Early Childhood Education: CHDEV 25, CHDEV 27, CHDEV 28

"Site Supervisor" level permit: All "Master Teacher" level courses, (including a specialization) plus CHDEV 95 and CHDEV 96

"Program Director" level permit: All "site Supervisor" level courses, plus a BA degree in Child Development, Liberal Studies, or related field.