1. About LMC
  2. Calendar
  3. Library
  4. News
  5. A-Z Index
  6. Directory
  7. Español
  8. Online Classes
  9. InSite

Financial Aid

Assisting students in receiving a college education


FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)


Which application do I complete?

The 2018-2019 FAFSA application started Fall of 2018, and ends June 30, 2019. To that end, as of June 30, 2018, the 2017-2018 FAFSA application will no longer be used for any type of aid at Los Medanos College. If you are planning on starting in Fall 2018 and are continuing on to Spring 2019 you should complete the 2018-19 FAFSA application.


(Back to top)


What is LMC's School Code?

LMC's school code is 010340.


(Back to top)


How long does the Financial Aid Process take?

The financial aid process is based upon the priority deadline and can take between 6-8 weeks to complete. Documents will be processed in the order that they are received. Please complete your FAFSA, CCPG application and any requested documents as soon as possible so you do not delay this process.


(Back to top)


What are the deadlines for Financial Aid?

LMC has adopted the March 2nd Federal and State priority deadline.


(Back to top)


But what if my parents or I make too much money? I don't think I'm eligible?

Just apply! Many students are eligible for some type of aid. Leave eligibility up to the Department of Education and the Office of Financial Aid to determine.


(Back to top)


How do I know if I am eligible? What types of aid will I get?

The best way to determine what you may be eligible for is to apply by completing a FAFSA. Many students are eligible for some type of aid.


(Back to top)


Do my grades affect my ability to receive Financial Aid?

Yes. All students who apply for Financial Aid will have their academics reviewed to verify that they are making "SAP" or Satisfactory Academic Progress. Maintaining this academic progress means that students complete the classes they attempt with a passing or credit grade on their academic transcripts. Students must also keep their GPA above 2.0 and cannot exceed the allowable degree applicable units to complete an A.A., A.S., Vocational Certificate or Transfer program. Please read our CCCCD Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for more information.


(Back to top)


What if I withdraw from all classes. Do I have to repay my grant fund?

Return To Title IV (R2T4)

If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds withdraws from a school after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined. If the amount disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned, unearned funds must be returned. Up through the 60% point in each payment period or period of enrollment, a pro rata schedule is used to determine the amount of Title IV funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal.


Unofficial withdrawal

Federal regulations state that Title IV funds are awarded to students under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire semester for which the assistance is awarded. If a recipient of Title IV grants withdraws from school after beginning attendance, the student is no longer eligible for the full amount he/she received, and the school must determine the amount of the grant the student earned and any unearned funds must be returned.


Students who failed to earn a passing grade (F's, NP's) and/or unofficially withdraws (W's) from all of his/her classes is also subject to return any unearned funds, unless the student can document their attendance to school passed the 60% date. However if the student is unable to document their attendance to class and proof that their grades were due to failure to achieve the course objectives, the school will make the determination that the student unofficially withdrew at the 50% date.


(Back to top)


Am I Dependent or Independent?

Can you answer "YES" to any one of the following statements?:

NOTE: If the answer is "Yes" to any of the above statements, you may be considered an Independent student. If you answered "No" to all of these questions, regardless of your living situation, you are considered a Dependent student for all Federal Funding purposes.


(Back to top)


What is a California College Promise Grant (CCPG) formerly Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) and how do I apply?

The California College Promise Grant is eligible to California residents to help pay for tuition. The CCPG is an electronic transaction which will waive the enrollment cost per unit (whether it be 1 unit or 21 units) and a portion of your parking permit for Fall, Summer and Spring semesters (you pay $20). The BOGFW does not have to be paid back. You may be eligible for a fee waiver even if you are not eligible for other types of aid. Students who wish to purchase their parking permit at the reduced rate must have the CCPG in place within the first two weeks of each term (excluding summer).


Note: Promise Grants do not apply to class material fees, Health Services Fee, Bus passes, Student Activity card, Student Rep fees or any other optional fees. Students are responsible for making sure all fees have been paid.


Eligibility for the CCPG will be automatically determined as soon as the Office of Financial Aid receives the results of your FAFSA electronically. You will be contacted by the Office of Financial Aid once eligibility is determined. You can check the status of your awards online on WebAdvisor. Students who are currently receiving benefits from TANF/Cal Works, SSI/SSP, General Relief, or a certified veteran dependent by California Department of Veteran Affairs are eligible for a CCPG as long as they are California residents. Just bring current proof of benefits (dated within the last 30 days) along with a completed CCPG application to the Office of Financial Aid. You will still need to complete the FAFSA to apply for other types of financial aid.


(Back to top)


How do I transfer my financial aid from another college?

Unfortunately, there is no way to "transfer" your aid from college to college. You can easily transfer your FAFSA by going to www.fafsa.gov and adding the school code of the college you will be transferring to. LMC's school code is 010340. Aside from the FAFSA, you will always need to complete the process for receiving aid at each college separately which includes submitting paperwork again (forms vary college to college) and following the new school's processing timelines. Tip: Keep copies of all documents submitted.


(Back to top)


How will I know if I need to submit any additional documents to the Financial Aid Office for my financial aid application?

You will receive a Missing Information letter from the Financial Aid Office by e-mail in your Insite Portal WebAdvisor using your student email.


(Back to top)


How can I view my financial aid award and print my award letter?

You can check your financial aid award on Insite Portal WebAdvisor once we have completed your file and there are no outstanding documents. To print your Award: Log into Insite Portal WebAdvisort; Click "WebAdvisor"; On the menu option, click on "Financial Aid"; then click on "Financial aid award letter"; Enter the Financial Aid Year (2017) and click SUBMIT.


(Back to top)



Top 11 reasons your financial aid could be delayed...

  1. LMC College is not listed on your FAFSA. (School code is 010340)
  2. The name on your FAFSA does not match the name on your Social Security Card.
  3. You did not sign your FAFSA or send in the signature page from FAFSA on the Web.
  4. You or your parent's made corrections or your FAFSA but the signatures are missing.
  5. You received e-mail from our office but forgot to read it. (Read everything you get very carefully.)
  6. Your documents weren't turned into our office in a timely manner.
  7. Your documents were incomplete.
  8. When you filed your FAFSA, you used estimated income and tax information, and when you filed your tax return, the information was different but you didn't correct your FAFSA.
  9. You didn't make Satisfactory Academic Progress the prior semester.
  10. You did not file an appeal.
  11. Your FAFSA was filed after March 2nd.


(Back to top)


What if I don't meet the Financial Aid SAP requirements?

Students who have not met the Minimum Standard Requirements will be placed on Warning term.

Note: You are still eligible to receive financial aid while on Warning.

Students who do not meet the Minimum Standard Requirements at the end of their warning semester, will be on Suspension for the next term.


For more information, please read our CCCCD SAP Policy.


(Back to top)


I have a high GPA, why am I on Warning?

Students who have not met Minimum Standard Requirements are placed on Warning term. There is a GPA requirement and a unit completion requirement. Often students have a high GPA but did not meet the unit completion requirement. Reminder: Grades of "W", "I", "IP", "F", NC" are counted as units attempted.


You can check your GPA and units completed in WebAdvisor through the Grades by Term link. If any of that information seems incorrect, contact your instructor and Admissions and Records. Notify us once the grade is corrected.


(Back to top)


How long can I receive Financial Aid?

There are two answers to this question. One is how long you can receive aid while you are at Los Medanos College, the other is how long you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for your entire college career.


At LMC College, you may only receive aid for up to 150% of your program. This is called your Maximum Time Frame. For more information read our SAP Requirements page.


For your entire college career, there is a maximum lifetime limit for the Federal Pell Grant of 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent.


(Back to top)


Can I receive Financial Aid during the summer term?

Students may receive one Pell Grant Scheduled Award during a single award year. Financial Aid offices will pay eligible students during the summer if the student has funding left from the single award year. For more information please contact the Office of Financial Aid.


(Back to top)


Why did I receive less $$ than is listed on my award letter?

Your Financial Aid award letter amounts are based on full-time enrollment. If you are enrolled in less than full-time units, the amount will be based on the number of units of enrollment (see chart below).

Enrollment Status
Award Amount
12+ units = Full-time


9-11.99 units = 3/4 time
6-8.99 units = 1/2 time
Less than 6 units = Less than 1/2 time
Less than 25%


Please note: Classes that you were not registered in during the first week of the term are not counted for payment.


(Back to top)


I am a parent of a college student (including a minor, or a high school student) do I have the right to see my child's education or financial records, especially if I pay the bill?

If a student is attending a postsecondary institution - at any age - the rights under FERPA apply. The student must provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents by requesting and submitting a Consent to Release Information form in person to our office.


(Back to top)


I am past the age to register with Selective Service. What do I do?

If you are a male age 26 and older and did not register with the Selective Service between the ages of 18 and 25, you can go to the Selective Service website: www.sss.gov to see if you were required to register. Click on the link that says Men 26 and older. If you do not meet one of the categories for men who do not have to register you will need to complete a Selective Service appeal form which you can find on our website or get in person from our office and return it to the Office of Financial Aid.


(Back to top)



The information on this website is compiled from various state, federal and college sources and intended to provide current and prospective students and their parents a tool to help make informed decisions about financial aid options while attending LMC. This information is subject to change due to changes in federal or state regulations, College policy, Office of Financial Aid procedures or budgeting.