Student-Parents who enroll their children in the childcare program will be required to enroll in a parent education seminar for two hours per week and to participate in the childcare center as a student laboratory assistant one and one-half hours per week. College units will be awarded to those completing the course. Participatory duties and responsibilities will be assigned by the Child Development Faculty. Childcare is scheduled in blocks.
Questions & Answers about Child Care at LMC
1. What services are available? Day programs are available with the following options:
2. Who is eligible to use the Child Study Center? The Center is available for use by LMC students, LMC staff and faculty, and community families. Priority registration is reserved for LMC students with priority first to EOP&S and Cal Work’s students.
3. How much does it cost? Monthly fees are as follows:
Charges are based on contracted hours and are paid whether the child attends the Center each day or not. Childcare fees are paid monthly at the Cashier’s window in the Business Office prior to your child’s attendance. Also required is a non-refundable Registration & Materials fee charged per child. This fee is paid once each semester at the time of registration, before child enrollment can be completed. The Registration & Materials fee is paid at the Cashier’s window in the Business Office. The following chart illustrates the fee schedule for Registration & Materials Fees:
4. What other requirements are there? All parents who use the Center are required to enroll in a Child Development course, which includes parent participation activities.
Register for CDEV 12 for 2 units if…
This is your first of second semester at the Center and your child attends the program. In CDEV 12, you attend a 2-hour weekly class on Tuesdays from 12:30 -2:20 and you participate as a parent helper in the lab 1½ hours weekly by arrangement for .5 credits in a CHDEV co-op ed course.
5. Can I learn more about the educational philosophy and the Program before I decide to enroll? Yes! Parents are always welcome to come by and observe the children and teachers at work and play. Ask for a copy of the Parent Handbook to read about our philosophy, curriculum approach and program policies. The teaching staff, director or faculty lab coordinators can answer specific questions.
6. How do I enroll my child? Come by the Child Study Center when you are notified of an opening. You will pick up an enrollment form from the office assistant and set up an appointment to complete the application process. You may call the office assistant at 439-2181, ext 3198 to verify an open position or make appointments to schedule enrollment. You must complete the enrollment forms, pay the Registration & Materials fee and the first month’s tuition to finish the enrollment process and have a reserved spot in the Child Study Center. Your child can begin attending the center 24 hours after all registration steps are complete.
You will need:
7. How do I schedule childcare? You may reserve child care space for the morning, afternoon or full day as space and program allows. You will sign a contract to reserve these time blocks for your child for every week of the Semester. Follow these guidelines:
PLEASE NOTE: Dropping classes DOES NOT withdraw you from the Center. You MUST file a “Change of Schedule/Withdrawal Form”, even if your child stops attending the Center, before you will stop incurring child care charges.
8. If the Center is currently full, can I get on a waiting list to enroll my child when a future opening comes up?? Yes! We start a waiting list on April 1 for the following Fall semester enrollments, and Nov. 1 for the following Spring semester enrollment. Ask the front desk receptionist for assistance to get your name on the waiting list.
9. Is child care available for the Summer? Yes! We run a reduced program for preschool aged children only for the 8 weeks of Summer semester. Registration for Summer child care begins when Summer Class Registration begins.
MORE QUESTIONS??? Call the Child Study Center at (925) 439-2181 x3198 for Receptionist or x3167 for Director
Los Medanos College (925) 439-2181 2700 East Leland Road, Pittsburg, CA 94565 [Legal Notice]
District sites [ CCC | DVC | SRVC | CCCCD | Brentwood] Faculty & Staff [Intranet]