STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
A pipeline from high school, through LMC, and into four-year colleges and universities
Application Now Closed! Application for 2017-18 Scholarship will open in November 2016.
- Typed, 500-word (or less) essay describing how your interest in a STEM discipline developed and any challenges that you have overcome, and accomplishments and achievements. Also, describe how this scholarship will help you achieve your professional and/or educational goals.
- Official high school transcripts (for high school seniors)/college transcripts (unofficial for current LMC/DVC/CCC students).
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a high school teacher or a college faculty (Use provided form).
- Signed Educational Plan (for current LMC students only).
- FAFSA or SAR report
WHAT IS THE LMC STEM SCHOLARS PROGRAM?
The Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) Scholars Program provides scholarships for LMC students who are majoring in one of the following STEM fields: biological sciences, computer sciences, engineering, mathematical sciences or physical sciences. Current LMC students and high school students who will enroll as STEM majors in the fall semester can apply for the STEM Scholars Program Scholarship if they meet the eligibility requirements below. The STEM Scholars Program is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Hold U.S. citizenship or lawful national or alien status.
- Have successfully completed pre-calculus by the time the scholarship dispersal
- Demonstrate financial need, according to federal guidelines
- Upon selection, enroll full-time (12+ units at LMC) in a program leading to an associate or baccalaureate degree in a STEM discipline
- Upon selection become an active participant in the MESA Program
High school students need:
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0
LMC students need:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.7 and have an overall GPA of 3.0 in their STEM classes
- To have completed a signed Student Educational Plan
If you are selected, you must complete these requirements each semester you are at LMC to continue receiving your scholarship
- Complete at least twelve (12) units each semester with a grade of C or better.
- Maintain 3.0 overall GPA in STEM courses, cumulative GPA of 2.7 and no grade below 2.0.
- Meet at least 6 times per semester with a STEM Mentor.
- Enroll in the MESA Transfer Prep Course (Counseling 33 MESA).
- Meet with STEM counselor at least once each semester to update the education plan, as necessary.
- Attend field trips to at least two STEM transfer universities.
- Participate in at least three program activities each semester (for example: speaker series, tutoring etc.)
Resources For Scholars
For more information please contact: