Opening doors to education
Is an online course for you? The following self assessment quiz is designed as a tool to assist you in determining how well an online course would fit your needs. Answer each question, then use scoring evaluation below.
A. High - I need it immediately for degree, job, or other important reason.
B. Moderate - I could take it on campus later.
C. Low - It's a personal interest that could be postponed.
2. Feeling that I am a part of a class is ...
A. not particularly necessary to me.
B. somewhat important to me.
C. very important to me.
3. I would classify myself as someone who ...
A. often gets things done ahead of time.
B. needs reminding to get things done on time.
C. puts things off until the last minute.
4. Classroom discussions are ...
A. rarely helpful to me.
B. sometimes helpful to me.
C. almost always helpful to me.
5. When an instructor hands out directions for an assignment, I prefer ...
A. figuring out the instructions on my own.
B. trying to follow the directions on my own, then asking for help as needed.
C. having the instructions explained orally first.
6. I need faculty comments on my assignments ...
A. right away, or I get very frustrated.
B. within a few days, or I forget what I did.
C. within a few weeks, since I can review what I did,
7. Considering my professional and personal schedule, the amount of time I have to work on a composition course is...
A. more than enough for a campus class.
B. the same as for taking a class on campus.
C. less than for taking a class on campus.
8. When I am asked to use VCRs, computers, voice mail or other technologies that may be new to me ...
A. I look forward to learning new skills.
B. I feel apprehensive, but try anyway.
C. I put it off or try to avoid it.
9. As a reader, I would classify myself as ...
A. good - I usually understand the text without help.
B. average - I sometimes need help to understand the text
C. slower than average.
SCORING: Add 3 points for each A that you circled, 2 points for each B, and 1 point for each C.
If you scored over 17, online courses are a real possibility for you.
If you scored between 8 and 17, online courses may work for you, but you need to make a few adjustments in your attitudes and planning to succeed.
If you scored 8 or less, online courses may not currently be a suitable option for you - talk to the instructor before you enroll.