Welcome to the EMLS/ESL Lab
The EMLS/ESL Lab is located on the second floor of the main college complex in CC2-281. The language lab contains sixteen student computer stations that are equipped with digital headphone/microphones. There is also a networked printer which is available to students via the Pay-for-Print system.
All English language learning students are encouraged to make use of the Lab to benefit your language development.
Your professors, the Lab Coordinator or Student Worker can and will help you access the two main online course component sites - MyEnglishLab, MyELT,and iQonline - to complete your class assignments (these offer online exercises related to grammar, reading, writing, vocabulary, speaking, listening, pronunciation, and thinking).
In addition to the online course components that go with all of our course textbooks, here is a quick list of language learning software available in our EMLS/ESL Lab:
- Pronunciation Power 1 Beginner to Intermediate
- 8 in 1 English Dictionary (within Pronunciation Power 1)
- Pronunciation Power 2 Intermediate to Advanced
- Idioms Program
- Longman Dictionary of American English, edition 4 w/”E-tutor”
- Oxford Picture Dictionary Interactive
Your ELMS/ESL professors assign online, course-related exercises and activities that correspond to MyEnglishLab, MyELT, and iQonline throughout the semester. They may also assign other online sites and certain programs in the lab for you to work on, or you can ask your professor which sites and programs you should work on to meet your particular needs and/or address your individual challenges.
Using the Lab and these technological resources will help increase your English language development because
- it increases the amount of time and exposure you have to the English language.
- it allows you to practice the specific skills that you need help with and want to focus on.
- it provides you with corrective and informative feedback.